Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

'Just a Mum'?


What is it about the role of Mothers in our society?  I swing from feeling like I am doing the most important job in the world, to feeling like I am missing out on some part of my life.  I need to say at the outset here, that I absolutely LOVE and adore all three of my children.  They are truly precious to me.  I am so very grateful to be their mother, and to have been able to enjoy their early years without having to dash off to work. 

I have been an At Home Mother (AHM) for a decade now.  My daughter turned ten last month.  And I fully realised that I had been AHMing for that long.  The longest I have ever held any 'job'.  And in the last year or so I have started to feel that I need something else too.  Something to sing to me.  Not just being mummy, which although I love it, is only one facet of me. 

I have other gifts to bring to the world.  Surely?  Don't I?  They just feel swamped by a mountain of laundry, a lake of washing up, school letters & requests, homework, and that's on top of the really important job of cuddles & listening.

Right now, I can feel like 'I' is emerging, painfully slowly, blinking into the light of expanding awareness.  I know that I can be more than 'just a mum'.  I can be so very much more & brilliant.  Not in a Super-mum nonsense sort of way, trying to be all things to all people & racing myself into a breakdown.  But in an expansive, authentic whole of joyous living.  I know I can.  I know I can.  I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment